Sunday, January 25, 2009

Your Dress is Ringing!

Have you ever really needed your cellphone, but forgot to grab it on the way out of your house? I know I have, but thats virtually impossible with the new M-Dress. Its a silk dress with a SIM card so you dont have to carry a phone with you. To answer a call you just raise your hand. This amazing dress was produced by the UK firm CureCircuit. I think that it would be awsome to have a M-Dress because I forget my cellphone in my locker, on my kitchen counter in my coat pockets, etc all the time. But this dress isn't the only fashion technology, clothes designers are increasingly incorporating electronics into their clothes. Jane McCann, Director of Smart Clothes and Wearable Technology at the University of Wales says "The clothing and electronics industries are collaborating in an unprecedented way, a new industrial revolution." One other really cool fashion technology is Angel Chang's thermochromic ink dresses that change color when you touch them or breathe on them. Also, XS labs have created a dress that literally knows your shape, it uses a shape-memory alloy called Nitinol. If you think this is crazy just think, the sports and fitness industries already have made wearable technology, producing shoes with built-in pedometers and active wear with integral iPod controls. Jane McCann says "You might want built-in controls for an MP3 player but I might like heart-beat monitoring. I'd like mine to have a digital print of the sleeve but my friend wants a picture of her boyfriend on the back. Some of that could happen in the next 10 years". So if your walking down the street and you see somebody with their hand in the air talking to themselves; you know what their up to! :)

For more information go to www.cnn.com then click on the science section and click on Futuristic Fashion Gets Smart. :)

1 comment:

trckstr said...

Yea.... but what about guys. I personally think its pretty stupid. So what. Big whoop. its a dress that is a cell phone and i pod. Who wants to wear that!?!! And if they are making one for girls, they should make a jacket for guys or sumthing.